Resolutions…

New Year's Resolutions 2015 on the Cup of Tea blogDo you make New Year’s Resolutions? Are you good at sticking with them?

I don’t typically sit down and write out goals and aspirations for the new year. If I do make one, it’s usually something simple, that I would have done anyway, like “try new recipes”.

In 2014, I had a few things I wanted to accomplish:

• Get consistent with blogging (check – at least it was better than 2013!)
  • Transition my blog to my own domain and self hosted server (check!)
  • Menu plan more often (check – thanks to Menu Mondays!)
  • Wear actual lip color, not just tinted lip balm (check!)
  • Be more social (check! Thanks to Elizabeth and play dates)

Feeling inspired by my few resolutions getting accomplished, I thought I’d try to tackle a few more this year!

For the home:

• Cut back on frivolous spending! Our expenses in 2014 were out of control. And that was all thanks to me. I just get bored! If I needed to get out of the house, I just went to Target. And that’s dangerous. I’m on a spending freeze for January, and we’ll see how it goes from there. Some people loose weight. I loose my credit card.
  • Read more. I love to read! I can reread my favorite books, no problem. But I just don’t take the time to do it these days. My book reading consists of Goodnight Moon and those glorious tomes by Sandra Boynton. So I need to dust off my ol’ library card and get cracking!
  • Actually learn how to bake a good pie.ย I don’t know why, until now, I’ve had no desire to learn!ย But this changes in 2015.
  • Send handwritten notes to friends and family throughout the year. I got inspired yesterday reading blogs from Whitney at Come Home for Comfort and Whitney at Polka-Dotty Place. They both talked about writing thank you notes post-Christmas. It got me thinking how much I enjoy getting real mail, and wouldn’t it be nice to do that for folks all year round, not just at birthdays or Christmas? Plus, it’s a great excuse to stock up on cute stationary! (And just like that, I’ve already broken New Year’s Resolution #1. Come on, Katie….)

For Elizabeth:

• Be more patient. I realize my patience will be thinner as the years go on, but I need to remember she’s only 15 months. She (probably) isn’t doing those things to get on my nerves on purpose. But she has mastered my patented under-breath growl when I get frustrated…. great.
  • Organize more activities. I need to schedule weekly activities that don’t involve Target (see that one point above). I’m thinking one day to the museum, one to the park, one day to reading time at the Library, and at least one play day a week. I also need to plan more structured learning activities.

For Myself:

• Get better at applying eye shadow. Y’all… I’m horrible at getting eye shadow in my eye lid crease. Either it’s my eye, my tools, or the shadow, but I always look like I’ve been punched in the face when I try to make an effort. So I want to get better at that.
  • Find the perfect “not quite everyday but natural enough to be everyday” foundation. I was always a loyal luxury foundation user. And then I quit my job and became a stay-at-home mom. I decided I should find a great drugstore foundation for everyday use. And I did! But now I need to find one that offers full coverage, but still easy to apply. That should be fun, right? (Although it’s in complete violation of my “cut back on frivolous spending resolution”)

For the Blog:

• Get back toย YouTube. Last year’s resolution was be consistent on the blog. This year I’d like to get more consistent posting videos on YouTube. I love doing them! But sometimes, when you have a busy month, something’s got to give, and it was inevitably that in 2014.
  • Take better pictures. I have my sweet husband to thank for this. For Christmas, he bought me a new camera, just for the blog. Now I just need to get better at photography!

Phew! That was a lot!

So what have you resolved to do this year? I’d love to hear it, in case I missed something ๐Ÿ™‚

Happy New Year!

Follow me: Instagram | YouTube | Twitter |ย Facebook | Google+ | BlogLovin’ย | Pinterest

Linked up with Tuesday Talk

1. Kara says:

I completely agree with your resolution on eye shadow! I just got the Naked Palette 3 for Christmas and am really trying to learn how to apply it…so much more difficult that it looks! Good luck…I’ll be cheering you on!!

• Katie @ Cup of Tea says:

Two great minds think alike! I got a Lorac Pro 2 and a Naked 2 Basics (bought that one for myself!) for Christmas, and it’s basically what spawned this resolution. Because attempt #1 to use the Lorac Pro was a disaster, thanks to my poor technique.

It may also be my tools? I’ve only recently actually started using eye shadow brushes. I always applied makeup with my fingers. So maybe I need to add “buy decent makeup brushes!” to the list.

Keep trying! And if you stumble across any good tutorials, let me know ๐Ÿ˜‰

2. Anne says:

Wow, you did do great with last year’s list! And I love this year’s. Reading more is a really fun one (I have all those Sandra Boynton ones memorized, so they don’t even count as “reading” any more!), and I like the make-up related ones too. I should really pick one or two things a year like that because I’m so makeup stupid. Maybe start with eyeliner… I want to finally learn to curl my hair too! And yay new camera – fun.

• Katie @ Cup of Tea says:

I should have really given you props, because I’m not sure how you’re able to read as many adult books as you do, but you’re an inspiration!

Eyeliner should be on my list too. I’ve always done eye liner one way, and one way only… and I’m sure it’s how a 8th grader does it. Liquid eye liner? What’s that?

I need a camera tutorial. My husband is more excited and into it than I am, so now I’m just defaulting learning the settings from him. Just lazy!

3. Whitney says:

Thanks for the shout out! I’m so glad you’re planning to make more videos – I love me some YouTube! Congrats on your success with 2014’s goals, that’s awesome. ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Colleen says:

Great goals, Katie! I’ll join you on reading more and sending handwritten notes to friends and family – I think those are two really good ones! I’d also like to menu-plan more often … in fact, I’ve already created a menu for the next two weeks. We’ll see how it goes! Another one for me is getting some house projects done, like painting, putting up a new backsplash in the kitchen, and getting my kitchen cabinets organized. Happy New Year! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Katie @ Cup of Tea says:

Those are great house projects to tackle!! We desperately need a back splash in the kitchen… I don’t know how all my food cooking splatters so much, but it does! Happy New Year to you as well!!

5. Whitney says:

I could easily jump on board with almost everything on your resolution list – especially the taking better pictures, eliminating frivolous spending (darn you Target!!), read more and perfect pie baking!! I LOVE to make pies and am working on a pie tutorial for the blog so maybe that’ll help you in your quest for the perfect pie (or paaaahhhhhh as it’s referred to in the South). Thanks for the thank you note love ๐Ÿ™‚

• Katie @ Cup of Tea says:

Oh I’ll definitely need your pie baking advice. My intimidation comes from my mom – she makes AMAZING pie crusts, and I just know, deep down inside, I’ll never be able to replicate it. But I do love paaaaahhhhh ๐Ÿ™‚ (Since I’m in the South, I must embrace some of the talk!)

6. Laura says:

This year I decided to pick a word. Priorities. What are my real priorities? Does it have to be done now? Are the kids suffering from what I THINK is a priority?

• Katie @ Cup of Tea says:

I love that, Laura! It’s so hard to get caught up in conflicting priorities. I’m looking forward to hearing how your year goes!

7. Hillari says:

Love this! I try to make resolutions every yearโ€ฆI should blog about it too! I try to do a few for myself but never thought about doing any for babyC! Great idea!! Target is SO dangerous! I wish we lived close and we could have playmates (are kids of course ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

• Katie @ Cup of Tea says:

HAHA of course, the kids absolutely are the only ones that need play mates ๐Ÿ™‚ Not us mommies! I enjoy giving myself easy resolutions so I can easily keep them! But this year I pushed myself a little. Most are still doable, though!