I don’t typically sit down and write out goals and aspirations for the new year. If I do make one, it’s usually something simple, that I would have done anyway, like “try new recipes”.
In 2014, I had a few things I wanted to accomplish:
- Get consistent with blogging (check – at least it was better than 2013!)
- Transition my blog to my own domain and self hosted server (check!)
- Menu plan more often (check – thanks to Menu Mondays!)
- Wear actual lip color, not just tinted lip balm (check!)
- Be more social (check! Thanks to Elizabeth and play dates)
Feeling inspired by my few resolutions getting accomplished, I thought I’d try to tackle a few more this year!
For the home:
- Cut back on frivolous spending! Our expenses in 2014 were out of control. And that was all thanks to me. I just get bored! If I needed to get out of the house, I just went to Target. And that’s dangerous. I’m on a spending freeze for January, and we’ll see how it goes from there. Some people loose weight. I loose my credit card.
- Read more. I love to read! I can reread my favorite books, no problem. But I just don’t take the time to do it these days. My book reading consists of Goodnight Moon and those glorious tomes by Sandra Boynton. So I need to dust off my ol’ library card and get cracking!
- Actually learn how to bake a good pie. I don’t know why, until now, I’ve had no desire to learn! But this changes in 2015.
- Send handwritten notes to friends and family throughout the year. I got inspired yesterday reading blogs from Whitney at Come Home for Comfort and Whitney at Polka-Dotty Place. They both talked about writing thank you notes post-Christmas. It got me thinking how much I enjoy getting real mail, and wouldn’t it be nice to do that for folks all year round, not just at birthdays or Christmas? Plus, it’s a great excuse to stock up on cute stationary! (And just like that, I’ve already broken New Year’s Resolution #1. Come on, Katie….)
- Be more patient. I realize my patience will be thinner as the years go on, but I need to remember she’s only 15 months. She (probably) isn’t doing those things to get on my nerves on purpose. But she has mastered my patented under-breath growl when I get frustrated…. great.
- Organize more activities. I need to schedule weekly activities that don’t involve Target (see that one point above). I’m thinking one day to the museum, one to the park, one day to reading time at the Library, and at least one play day a week. I also need to plan more structured learning activities.
- Get better at applying eye shadow. Y’all… I’m horrible at getting eye shadow in my eye lid crease. Either it’s my eye, my tools, or the shadow, but I always look like I’ve been punched in the face when I try to make an effort. So I want to get better at that.
- Find the perfect “not quite everyday but natural enough to be everyday” foundation. I was always a loyal luxury foundation user. And then I quit my job and became a stay-at-home mom. I decided I should find a great drugstore foundation for everyday use. And I did! But now I need to find one that offers full coverage, but still easy to apply. That should be fun, right? (Although it’s in complete violation of my “cut back on frivolous spending resolution”)
For the Blog:
- Get back to YouTube. Last year’s resolution was be consistent on the blog. This year I’d like to get more consistent posting videos on YouTube. I love doing them! But sometimes, when you have a busy month, something’s got to give, and it was inevitably that in 2014.
- Take better pictures. I have my sweet husband to thank for this. For Christmas, he bought me a new camera, just for the blog. Now I just need to get better at photography!
Phew! That was a lot!
So what have you resolved to do this year? I’d love to hear it, in case I missed something 🙂
Happy New Year!
Linked up with Tuesday Talk