Friday is my birthday! I’m the big 3-1.
I’m not a huge birthday celebrator when it comes to myself. For others, I love to do it up big. For me, though, I prefer just a low key birthday.
Since random facts are one of my favorite posts to read, I thought it would be fun to give you 31 factoids for my 31st birthday!
- Have I ever talked about my family? My parents live up in Kalamazoo, Michigan, and my younger sister (by 2.5 years) lives in downtown Chicago. I love my family! It stinks being so far away from them now, but thank goodness for FaceTime. And I’m really blessed to absolutely love my in-laws! They are so much like my own family that I feel right at home when we visit!
- Here’s a true random – I have never watched The Sound of Music or Gone With the Wind all the way through.
- If I had to choose to watch one show or movie, forever and ever, it would be the Anne of Green Gables movies. They are just so sweet!
- And if I had to choose one book series to read, over and over, it would be the Mitford Series from Jan Karon. Also just so sweet! (A new book is coming out this Fall!)
- I grew up wishing I could be Amish. But an Amish girl with a TV. Is that possible?
- I could watch ANY sporting event. I love sports! Particularly football.
- But I only played volleyball in high school. And really anyone could be on the team… I was an amazing server (underhand only… but I was awesome!) but then got rotated out as soon as I got to the front line.
- I have a large scar on almost all of my left arm from burning my arm with hot tea (ironic) when I was 7 months old. It’s what makes me unique!
- I play the piano and the flute. I also sang in choirs all throughout my younger years.
- I played in orchestra for two years when I was in college.
- I was in drama all the way up through high school. I even won the “best actress” award my senior year!
- The part I played for “best actress” was portraying a crotchety old German grandmother. I swear I only got the part originally because I could semi-successfully pull of a German accent, because I certainly don’t fit the crotchety part!
- I can pretty convincingly do any accent.
- I have NO problem speaking in front of people. Even if it is spur of the moment.
- But ask me to sing or play an instrument solo? I get the worst stage fright! We’re talking hands shaking, knee caps wiggling… horrible!
- In college I majored in Marketing. I also never changed my major once.
- I went to a small Christian university in southwest Michigan, right near Lake Michigan.
- I met my husband on our first week as college Freshmen. We started dating the first week of our Junior year.
- My husband (then just a friend) caught me when I fainted at Sunday Mass at Notre Dame. It was an alumni weekend, plus home game… standing room only…. It was our “how we met” story, even though we had officially first met several weeks prior.
- I would rather have a salty snack instead of a sweet one.
- Morrel mushrooms give me the heebie jeebies.
- I am always tossing and purging things. I can’t handle piles of things.
- I always knew I was going to be a SAHM when we started to have kids.
- When I was growing up I wanted to be either a teacher or an astronaut.
- My mom was my teacher for several years. She taught me subjects in 4th, 7-10th grades. I went to a small Christian school from 1-10th, so I saw her a lot.
- I had the nick name “The Duchess” my freshman year of HS because I had a sizeable crush on Prince William. (and… may still do? But that just may be an entire family crush now!)
- I always wished that my birthday was during the school year so people would say “Happy Birthday” and I could have a class party.
- I didn’t get to experience the “Happy Birthday” greetings until we moved to NC and I worked in an office.
- I quit my job on my birthday in 2013 because I was planning on being a SAHM. And decided the best birthday gift I could have was a “last day of work”. And it was great! I got “Happy Birthday and we’ll miss you!” all day!
- If you come to our house, chances are there is classical music playing. I usually have it on from the morning I get up until bed time. (In fact, you’ve probably heard it a few times in vlogs)
- When I first started my blog, I was terrified that people I knew in real life would find out. I was worried people would make fun of me! I’m over it now, but it was a crippling fear!
So there you go! It was hard coming up with 31 facts that were mildly entertaining or interesting!
Any surprising things? Anything similar to you? Let me know!