I hope you had a wonderful week! Spring is finally arriving here in Durham, NC! Sunny and the 70s – that’s what Spring normally feels like around here!
1. On Saturday we got to go to a Carolina Hurricanes hockey game with friends! We had such a fun time! We last were at a hockey game about 6 years ago, so it was fun to be there. Elizabeth would definitely love to go to a game next year!
2. William lately has been changing a lot! He will be two at the end of May, and he’s starting to transform from a baby into a full-fledged toddler. He also talks A LOT! (wonder where he gets that?) I’m excited for when his gabbing becomes actual words.
3. If you’re not watching my Instastories, then you are missing out on quite a bit of ramble and the best auto-correct snaffoos. This week I had one for the ages. I don’t like almond, soy or other nut milk. I did, though, pick up a carton of oat milk, and it was delightful! But auto-correct strikes.
4. Guess who’s 4.5 now??? Elizabeth celebrated her half birthday on Wednesday and she was SO excited! We love any excuse to celebrate something, and half birthdays are a part of the annual celebration list! She has changed so much in the last 6 months. Her interests have really taken shape! She is quite the adventurer and is really brave. She loves to sing and dance, but still is shy. She’s also gotten fiesty. Hopefully, that simmers down.
5. At my Monday Bible study this week, we were having a discussion about when we last received grace from someone. My mind IMMEDIATELY went to the day before. Sunday evening we were planning on having dinner with friends. By the end of Sunday, I was tired. We had spring break that week plus a busy weekend hosting brunch, the hockey game, etc. I was excited to head out to hang out with friends! But I was definitely wearing thin. Elizabeth woke up from her nap extra cranky and whiny, and her attitude was rubbing off on me. When it was time to load up in the car, I heard one too many whines, and I declared I couldn’t go! I offered to have the kids at home and let my husband go on his own, but he said the kids would be fine and he’d take them. He was definitely disappointed I wasn’t going, but he sensed I was frazzled.
They drove away. I was so steamed! I was annoyed I was frazzled, annoyed that he decided the kids would be fine when I just KNEW that the whines would continue while they were there (why didn’t he listen to me??). I threw on my walking shoes and hit the neighborhood to calm down. While I was walking, I realized my attitude was STUPID! Here I was, annoyed that my husband didn’t hear my recommendations of leaving the kids at home with me, but yet I missed the gift and grace he gave me! He knew I was done. So he just took the kids for a fun evening. And he was right! They had fun! And I had a restorative 2.5 hours on my own. It was life-giving!
Grace comes in all forms, and when you need it most. It was definitely a lesson in asking for help and letting my husband help me!
How was your week?? Can’t wait to hear all about it!